Sometimes I "think" too highly of myself

Posted by Randy | Labels: , , , , , , , , | Posted On Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Sometimes a single word changes the whole meaning of a sentence. I've found that when I read quickly, I sometimes miss that one word because I already think I know what I'm going to read.

This morning as I was reading my Life Journal reading in Luke 5, a word jumped out at me for the first time. I've read this passage many times, but it never struck me. Maybe you'll just laugh at what I missed, because you've always seen it, but it struck home with me this morning.

Luke 5:31:32 (NLT): "Jesus answered them, 'Healthy people don't need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent." (emphasis added)
The word I had missed many times before was "think." Jesus isn't saying that he didn't come for the righteous - he's saying he didn't come for those who "think" they are righteous. Those who think they've got their act together. Those who don't believe they are doing anything wrong. They're the ones who believe Jesus came for everyone else, but certainly not for them because they are righteous - they are living rightly. Or so they think...

The Bible says all have sinned. The Apostle Paul, paraphrasing from Psalm 14, says, "…'No one is righteous - not even one.'" (Romans 3:10) That is, none of us can claim "right-standing" with God based on our own efforts or merits. To claim righteousness is to claim that I'm making no mistakes, I'm doing nothing to hurt my relationship with God. My thoughts and actions are always pure and on track. And Paul says none of us can make this claim. Only God can.

But the Pharisees believed that in keeping the letter of the law, in keeping the appearance of the law (but not the heart of the law) they were righteous. Their pride would be their downfall. Unfortunately, the Pharisees haven't been the only ones whose pride would be their downfall.

In my insecurity, I try to come across better than I am. I shrink from admitting any faults or failings. I have nurtured this belief that by seeking to live this great life, by showing no faults, people will see me as someone special, righteous (though we probably wouldn't use that word). It's how I get people to like me, respect me, look up to me.

But what I'm really doing is trying to compensate for my own shortcomings. And in the process, I "think" I'm righteous, when I really am not. I'm living in pride. And as long as I live that way, Jesus won't break into our lives.

Jesus said, "'God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.'" (Matthew 5:3). He said, "…'I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.'" (Matthew 18:3-4; italics added)

At Christmas we celebrated that Jesus was born in the most humble of circumstances - to a peasant couple, in a stable or cave, and visited by outcast shepherds at first. And he will still only enter into our lives when we humbly submit ourselves to him. Jesus came for those who are willing to admit they are sick, but there's little he can do for those who "think" they are righteous, who have no need for him.

This passage really struck me this morning, and then an earlier verse in Luke 5 brought it home: "But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer." (Luke 5:16) Even the Son of God knew his need for God, and often spent time with God. Wow! How much more do I need that? How much more do I need to be humble and admit my sickness, my sinfulness, my pride, my self-centeredness? How much more do I need to spend time with God? Because it's then that the "doctor," the Great Physician, is welcomed into my life to bring healing. And even to bring His righteousness into my life.

By humbly accepting Jesus into my life, and daily recalling (or confessing) all the ways I fail to be in right-standing (righteous) with God on my own, He lets me in on his ticket - He awards me righteousness out of his grace, which I can receive only by faith.

So, to sum it all up, the doctor is in...