Neutrality isn't as safe as I thought

Posted by Randy | Labels: , , , , | Posted On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 7:05 AM

There have been times in my Christian journey when I really didn't want to put myself out. I really didn't want to go the whole way. What Christ was asking of me seemed a little extreme. And so, I admit, I backed off. I didn't do anything to oppose Christ, but I didn't help, either. It seemed to me that neutrality was a safe place.

But then I read in today's Life Journal readings, from Luke 11:23, these words of Jesus: "'Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me.'"

In the verses just before this verse Jesus is talking about Satan. Suddenly, as I read verse 23 I felt convicted. I realized that opposing Jesus is obviously working on Satan's behalf. But in this verse it struck me that doing nothing for Jesus is also working on Satan's behalf. Satan doesn't have to get us to do evil to thwart God's plans - getting us to do nothing is also effective.

Doing nothing isn't helping to build the Kingdom of God. In addition, doing nothing becomes a witness to others, an encouragement to others, to do nothing. Working for the Kingdom requires effort. It causes us many times to take a stand. It's seldom the easiest way to go. If Satan can simply keep me from serving Jesus, from doing good things, then he is accomplishing his purposes.

That's why Jesus said that if we aren't with him, we're opposing him. There is no neutrality in the battle between heaven and hell. Neutrality stands on the side of hell, for Satan is just as pleased with us doing nothing as he is if we actively oppose the Kingdom.

This is a scary thought to me because many times I like to think that I can be neutral about certain issues within the Christian journey. Who or what am I hurting if I take no stand at all? Yet, Jesus tells me taking no stand is a dangerous place to be. What do you think?