Challenges of Following Jesus

Posted by Randy | Labels: , , , , , , , | Posted On Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Luke's chapter 19 is one of those chapters that is just full of great and important stuff. But, as I dug into this chapter, I discovered a common theme of following Jesus that speaks to me today.

First is the story of Zacchaeus, the tax collector. Tax collectors were known for cheating people, but the Roman government backed them, so Jews hated them. Zacchaeus encounters Jesus, and Jesus invites himself over to Zacchaeus' home. The people complained, "…'(Jesus) has gone to be the guest of a notorious sinner,'…" (vs. 7). Yet, Jesus' love and acceptance led Zacchaeus to commit his life to Christ. He gave away half his wealth and gave back to those he cheated four times what he had taken. And at this point Jesus makes very clear that in spite of what others may think or say, this is exactly why he came: "'For the Son of Man (Jesus) came to seek and save those who are lost.'" (vs. 10) In this brief verse, Jesus tells us his purpose for coming, and he gives a clear picture of our purpose, too, for those those of us who are committed to following him. As his followers, as the body of Christ, we, too, are here to seek and save those who are lost, who are disconnected from God. We're his hands and his feet and his voice in the world today. But, if we aren't reaching out to those who are lost, we've stopped following Jesus.

The second story is often called the Parable of the Talents as the Gospel of Matthew tells it. Here Luke tells us a slightly different version, but the message is much the same. The Master entrusts to his servants varying amounts of resources and tell them to invest it while he's gone. When the Master returns, one servant returns to his Master ten times what he started with. A second servant returns five times what he started with. In both cases the Masters rewards them by making them governors over cities. The third servant brings back only the original amount - he's done nothing with what his Master entrusted to him. The Master calls him a "wicked servant," and takes away even what he had. Jesus shows us that no matter how much he gives us - talents, abilities, resources, etc. - if we're following him, he expects us to use wisely that which he has entrusted to us for the purpose of advancing his kingdom. When we do nothing with what's been entrusted to us, we lose even what we had. But, when we do use what he has entrusted to us, he provides even more. There's a basic principle of management or stewardship here. As a follower of Christ, am I being faithful with that which God has entrusted to me? It's important, because some day I'm going to have to give an accounting, and if I haven't been faithful, I'm going to discover that I wasn't following Jesus and I'll end up somewhere else.

Next, we see the story of Jesus entering Jerusalem on what is traditionally called Palm Sunday, the Sunday before Easter. It's a great day of praise and celebration, but Jesus knows that many of the very people who are singing his praises on Sunday will be calling out for his crucifixion on Friday. Ultimately, talk is cheap. True faith is not demonstrated by what we say but by what we do. Talking the talk means nothing if we don't also walk the talk. That's a big challenge for all of us. Following Christ means following Christ. It means walking in his steps, even when it's uncomfortable or just plain hard. Until we're willing to follow wherever he leads us, even to the cross, our talk is cheap. I write this for myself, because I know I struggle here at times. I am learning that it is precisely when it's hard that following Christ both means the most and also grows me the most. That's not necessarily what I want to hear, but that's the reality.

In a quick final story in this chapter Jesus clears the Temple of thieves and money changers. Sometimes, following Jesus means confronting the wrongs and injustices of this world. That's seldom comfortable, but it's what Jesus did.

Very different stories, but in each one I learn more about what it means to follow Jesus. All these stories show that following Jesus isn't easy - in fact, it's a real challenge at times. But, until I'm walking in his footsteps, I'm not really following him, and I won't get to where he wants me to be. It's worth asking ourselves, "Who's footsteps am I walking in?"